Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Daylight Saving Time

Yeah, everyone who's seen "National Treasure" knows that
Benjamin Franklin first conceived of the idea, but other
than that and "spring forward; fall back" who really
knows why we do this every year?

As opposed to discussing all of the reasoning behind it,
I am just here to do some pondering and maybe a little
griping

First things first: The original term is "Daylight Saving
Time", NOT: "Daylight Savings Time". It is meant to be a
change in time that will save daylight. Of course, NO
daylight is actually being saved. The daylight is simply
being shifted to a different time of the day.

Now an interesting note is that Arizona does NOT observe
DST (I'm not sure if 'observe' is the correct word there
but it sound good to me). Perhaps even more interesting
is that the Navaho Tribe in Arizona DOES observe DTS
on their reservation. And even more interesting to some
folks; there is a smaller reservation that is completely
surrounded by the Navaho reservation and that smaller
tribe does NOT observe DST.

When I was in high school/college, I did yardwork for a
nice old lady in Salem, Oregon. It facinated me that she
never changed her clocks. She was always on standard
time. Everytime I finished working, she would ask me
when I started, then she would have to look at her clock
and adjust it to the actual time (DST) to figure out how
long I had worked. She was just set in her ways and I
can't say that I blame her.

Although I like getting an 'extra' hour of daylight in the
evening, I also like to get up early on weekends and do
some yardwork, but I have to wait for the sun to come up.

Hypotheticals:

- Say I was up late on a nice fall night about the time
the clocks are going to be changed. If I go to Denny's
and order some sort of Slam, can I eat it before I order
it? (Order at 1:55am, eat it at 1:20am).

- If I get a speeding ticket at 1:30am in one town, then
go to another nearby town and get another speeding ticket
at 1:30am, do I have an alibi?

- If one twin is born at 1:50am, then another is born 15
minutes later at 1:05am, which one is older?

1 comment:

Angela said...

Nice to finally hear from you again! Now I can finally stop checking everyday to see if you have written anything! haha. Garrett and I were contemplating the idea of "DST" the last time we had to "spring forward" (I hate springing forward bytheway!). I still don't really appreciate having to do it. I think that I will go and live in Arizona...